Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Hold Steady's Separation Sunday


Dear Lindsey,

I suppose I should I tell you that I’ve never listened to the Hold Steady before, but I am listening to Separation Sunday as I write this to you.

This album is so American. If I owned a red convertible, I would be driving down the highway through the desert blasting this album, especially “Banging Camp.” You could join me on this road trip, I wouldn’t mind.

That’s just the beginning though. Me and my red convertible would drive to some small town 4th of July festival, where the bands play outside downtown next to the one bridge across the river. On the 4th of July everyone looks best is cutoff jeans and white tank tops, so that’s what I’m wearing.  It’s so hot out that no one can think about anything but warm beer, hot dogs, and fireworks.  The air is hot and humid, so thick I can feel the water molecules part for me as I move through the crowd.  
 
After the show, after the fireworks, the oppressive heat finally starts to fade.  I decide to leave this small town, go back to the city. The top’s still down on the convertible, I’m hoping to catch a stray breeze.

I can’t wait for summer.

Love,
Gena

p.s. Congratulations on being the first letter!

1 comment:

  1. Yay first letter! I still have to think of a good topic to send in...

    ReplyDelete